Where to look for jobs
Smaller or local services may not advertise on large paid job ad sites so it’s worth searching the services’ websites or subscribing to their email newsletters to find out when opportunities come up.
You can search for a range of employment opportunities throughout Victoria on the Victorian Government’s Family Violence Jobs Portal.
What employers are looking for
While there is a range of skills and knowledge that professionals require, employers are also looking for people who:
- understand the gendered nature of family violence
- can listen, observe and communicate with people accessing services with respect and empathy
- can make informed decisions, balancing procedural and personal needs, and adapt well if situations change
- are open to learning and contributing to further improve how the sector responds
- can self-reflect and determine their readiness to work responding to a complex social issue.
What checks will I need to go through?
Many roles will require you to hold a current employee Working with Children Check, a satisfactory police check and be eligible to work in Australia.